Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The 'Green' Group

Balthezar had a bit of a meltdown today. We got into an argument about some of his homework. He is worried that he won't get a good enough grade on his animal report and so he won't be able to go to the zoo. I said that of course he will a good enough grade on his report. He said that he wouldn't that he is stupid. I asked him why he said that. Balthezar is in the 'green' group. Apparently, the 'green' group is the 'stupid' group for the kids who are 'stupid' Only 3 other kids are in his group and the rest of the class is in the blue and the red groups.

My heart wants to break. I was always in the top group. I never really paid attention to what group other kids were in - except that I wanted to be the best in the group that I was in.

It is days like this that I wish my kids were homeschooled! He is so amazing at other things, but they aren't things that you take tests on.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I remember s a kid ALWAYS being part of the lowest group. Then being surrounded by my much smarter siblings. It was incredibly difficult. I always wanted to be in the other groups because they got to do cool projects and read awesome books. Me I got stuck reading stuff like "a duck is a duck" It was hard as a kid, and harder because as a child you actually know that you are part of the "stupid" group. Even in high school I have students who get their tests modified. I try very hard to make sure that the other students don't see me giving them the "dumbed down" version (students wordds, not mine) and I've had kids without difficulties aske me for the modified tests and the notes and I just brush them off when I tell them I can't. The good news is that I think Balthezar reminds me alot of myself as a child. Overly sensitive, struggles to read. Look at me now. I'm still sensitive, but I went to college and I am a teacher. Whatever he does in his life he will suceed. Just give him loves and tell him that his Aunt Genevieve was once in the green group!!!!!