Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Walking with donkies

So I get off the combi (a large volkswagen van that is the main trasportation system) today and start to cross the street. I looke over to my left and a donkey is walking along with me. I look around wondering where its owner is. Finally she appeared, with about 20 sheep to go into the fields to eat. Sometimes I wished I carried a camara with me everywhere. It is interesting to see something like that, while crossing a busy street with cars.

Which reminds me - have you ever heard a donkey? I think that they must be the loudest animal alive. I have been pleasantly surprised this visit. The neighbors donkey must have died or something, because it isn´t waking me up at all hours of the night with its noise.

There are some baby sheep that live next door. They sound like a baby crying. The first time that Edith heard it, she asked me where the baby was.

Some say that there are more dogs that people in this town. At night I can believe it, because they are all howling. It isn´t too bad though. It is amazing how you start to filter things. Like when we first arrived, I thought the stench of cow manure was going to kill me. But now I don´t even notice it. We don´t have pigs though, so everytime we pass by someones house that has pigs, it makes me want to gag. I am not sure that I could get used to that smell. It is really horrible.

I haven´t really heard from anybody in a few days, so I am feeling a bit disconnected. The computer is my link to home. I am glad that I get along so well with my sister in laws. They are a lot of fun to hang around with.

5 comments:

David said...

Mmmmm..... Bacon!

David said...

Ummm...did you know that you have the same color blog as Kathi Jenness, and I was so very confused when I was trying to picture her getting off of some volkswagon across the street from Starbucks corporate in Seattle next to a donkey and a bunch of sheep!!!

David said...

oops, apparantly Dave is signed in...that last comment, as well as this one is from me, not him.

STacie

John M. Green said...

Donkey's, coffee from Starbucks, and howling dogs. Makes for a wonderful vision of Mexico to me. As I read your blog it made me hope that next summer we can plan a trip to Mexico in my truck. We can load the back with clothes for the family and neighbors. Some american thangs for mexican animuls. Your description is so vivid. I can tell that you are obtaining a higher education. David and Stacie's comments made me chuckle. Sheep, macdonal's hamburgers, and twinkie's. Man o man am I hungry.

kath said...

What is Stacie talking about, I always ride volkswagens and pet the donkeys across the street from my work!

And, cute blog, lady. Love your layout.